About Me

My photo
I have just launched my new and exciting business: Lady in Links. This online boutique is dedicated to providing beautiful cufflinks...for Women Only! These are no ordinary cufflinks. They are intricately designed, sophisticated, stylish, and most importantly, feminine. Take a look at the new collection at www.ladyinlinks.com.

Thursday 27 January 2011

Its been a while....

Now that Lady in Links is up and running, I thought the hard work would be over. How silly of me. The notion that you can just pop an online store onto the worldwide web and bingo, sales start rolling in, is a distant dream. I sat patiently waiting for my first customer (my mum and best friend don’t count), for 3 weeks. And that was a really long three weeks. But I’ll tell you what, that feeling when you see your first order pop into your mail box is absolutely worth the wait. After hours, days and weeks of tentatively clicking the send/receive button on the email, one tiny little line pings into my empty list saying ‘Order received’. Hoorah! After leaping with joy and running round the office a few times, I ended up spending the money on cakes in celebration.
But even after that long wait, I still thought ‘Ah, now they will start flooding in someone’s spotted me’. It was another 2 weeks until the next order, and another round of cakes to celebrate. Fear seeped into me at the realisation that 2 orders a month weren’t going to pay the bills, especially if I keep buying these cakes. But then we hit October and I was saved from turmoil by poor souls trying to find something different to give their wives/sisters/daughters for their Christmas gift. One day in December I actually received 2 orders in one day. I cannot tell you how over the moon I was! I even had emails from happy customers to say how delighted they were with my products....big smiley face on The Cufflink Lady!
So success is not as easy to come by as I naively expected, but the wait I endured made the orders I received so much sweeter.
Needless to say, now that Christmas is over, I have my work cut out to get Lady in Links ‘out there’. Short of standing atop a very tall building and shouting for all I’m worth about it, I am rubbish at this marketing malarkey. So, off I go to some marketing courses, good old Women Do Business I say.

No comments:

Post a Comment